Every time I’m asked to shoot a winter wedding, it feels almost like winning the lottery. Not that I’ve actually WON the lottery, but I imagine this is what it feels like, haha. Once you learn how to photograph them (hello snow and white dresses!) it’s so fun to go where the beauty takes you! And as far as winter weddings go, Sun Peaks Resort is an exceptional venue. It’s beautiful in every season, really, but in the winter it’s absolutely magical!
Carly and Bruce’s wedding was no exception to stunning winter weddings. Carly was gorgeous and looked like a snow princess (scroll down, you’ll see!), and Bruce looked so handsome, and so madly in love… it was beautiful!
The weather was pretty dang cold, so the ceremony (as well as the reception) was held inside the Sun Peaks Grand. One of the things that makes Sun Peaks a great place for a winter wedding is that the beautiful outdoor vistas are close to the village and warmth is never too far away!
The bride and groom and I headed out to the snowshoe trails for their portraits… and it was seriously spectacular out! Cold, but stunning!! The snow was just hard enough to stand on without falling through, and the tree branches held on to their snow for us. These two are all about having a good time, and even the sweet soft romantic moments were laced with laughter. I was a ninja though, and caught the laughter and the love, a perfect mix! We had a great time wandering the snow covered forest until dinner.
After warming up with great food and a bit of wine, oh and dancing and games and more wedding shenanigans, we ducked back outside for night time photos. I always commend couples who are ready to go for even more photos after dinner when the party gets underway, but a super special shout out HAS to go to those couples who are excited to head back outside when it’s below freezing and so very winter. These two were absolute rockstars and their photos show it!
Winter wedding Tips
A couple things to note if you’re getting married in the winter….
- If you’re getting photos done outside, I’d strongly recommend an extra layer for both the bride and the groom… thermals come super thin and while you won’t see them you will be warmer.
- TIMELINE: plan some extra time to warm up inside halfway through your photos, so you don’t totally freeze 🙂
- Boots and gloves… boots are a huge bride saver and make all the difference when you’re wandering around outside! Brides often buy white boots so you don’t notice them in the photos. Smart!
- Hand warmers. A real game changer!
- Also… that wrap Carly is wearing was a huge factor in her keeping warmer while we were shooting.
- And, if you like to keep warm from the inside out, this is the perfect time to have a little flask with brandy or something warming inside it!!
THE AMAZING VENDORS:
Venue: Sun Peaks Grand at Sun Peaks Resort
Hair + Makeup: Styled By MUAH
Florals: Wild Roots Flowers and Gifts
Dress: First Comes Love
Decor: First Comes Love
Coordinator: Wild Sage Events
Cake: Sweet Spot Cupcakes
DJ: Common Sound
Rings: Fifth Avenue Jewellers